Friday, December 11, 2009

Eerily prophetic


A few months ago, I set this Blake Wright illustration as my desktop. A few nights ago, I gave myself an overly aggressive callus removal and the bottoms of my feet were rendered bloody and red all over. Some heavy foreshadowing, no? I think I'll stick to the PediEgg® from now on. Or better yet, leave it to the professionals.

Speaking of professionals, it's apparent that the division of labor amongst nail techs overwhelmingly favors the Vietnamese. Like clockwork, they ask my ethnicity in that sing-songy deaf-sounding accent. No, I'm not Vietnamese, I reply.

They appear to trade glances, breathe sighs of relief, and chatter on. Perhaps they were worried that I would be able to eavesdrop on their conversation. Or maybe they were looking for a brethrenly connection. Either way, sitting in the chair, I can't help but to feel a little like a cannibal.

9 comments:

  1. I always wish I spoke the language of the pedicurists so I could eavesdrop. I always wish I could get more pedicures too. Hope your soles are healed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YIPES! Is walking painful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. cannibal.


    god, i fucking love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is probably bad, but I find this hysterical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouchables! How I love a good eavesdrop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Owwwwwwwwwwww. I'm cringing just thinking about it.

    In nyc they used to really slice that shit off for you, but they changed the laws or something. To my chagrin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what are they saying?! i want to speak vietnamese

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know, Mouse. I don't speak Vietnamese.

    ReplyDelete

The divine PB&J in me, salutes the divine PB&J in you.