Monday, January 25, 2010

CERVICES SERVICES

MEMORANDUM


TO:                    THOSE WITH LADYPARTS; THOSE WHO ARE FANS OF LADYPARTS; THOSE WHO KNOW THOSE WITH LADYPARTS (but don't necssarily have to be fans of)

FROM:                THE CEO OF LAST TO KNOW, INC.

SUBJECT:           CERVICES SERVICES

Dear Friends,

This may be the most important thing I've ever posted on this little ramshackle piece of the internets. Please forgive me if you already knew about this, but I, and a random sampling of women I know, did not!

After having two too many gin martinis with a brilliant and hilar cancer researcher that I work with, I spilled about my recent pussy scare. She asked me if my doctor examined the back of my cervix, by way of the rectal wall, during well woman exams/pap schmears.

The answer was a resounding, "NO! WTF! NO! No one ever has!" A middle aged colleague with 3 kids mirrored my sentiment. I felt so cheated! Duped! I didn't even know that was part of the exam! Knowledge is power. Turns out most cervical cancers start from the back. Also turns out that some doctors are either poorly trained or lazy.

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD (AND YOUR CHEEKS)!

Best retards,
G.




p.s. just out of curiosity, how many of you knew this?

14 comments:

  1. I've been told that that is the "old fashioned" method that is not really used anymore. Evidently they don't need to go that way for a thorough exam...whew! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, but they ARE used! The Drs from the Mayo Clinic told me so. I believe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eh? There's the Pap smear bit (with the speculum) then the vaginal/bi-manual exam (with the gloved fingers) but I have never heard of a rectal exam being party of a lady exam.

    Also I just looked it up in some medical journals and there is no evidence for doing a rectal as part of cervical cancer screening. It seems to be an American thing to do a rectal (does the doctor get to charge more? I do a lot of rectal exams and they are not fun). Of course, if the patient has bowel symptoms, or it is a man and you are examining the prostate, or if you are looking for rectal prolapse, the rectum is fair game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pap smear's where the money is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Rectovaginal exam," not a full rectal, costs the same for the insured. Never had one, getting one, will report back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Never knew that technique was used for anything other than sex. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://std.about.com/od/gettingtested/a/analpap.htm

    ReplyDelete
  8. i get the recto and am surprised that most ob's don't practice this. yeah it sucks, but i pay out of pocket for my exams because i don't have insurance, so my doctor better check EVERYTHING. you know?
    and maybe it's just me, but it's not half as uncomfortable as having a COLD METAL apparatus shoved up my private area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmm. nope.

    i'm usually just in a rush to get the hell out of there, so i haven't really offered any other orifices to inspect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, thanks grace. yet another reason for me to avoid going to the doctor for as long as possible.

    just talking about lady doctors makes me want to cry. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woahhhhhhs. I did NOT know this. Thank you, blog world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i heard that is super old-fashioned, apparently a doctor in my area is a pervert and takes full advantage by deeming it necessary so i'll passssss

    ReplyDelete

The divine PB&J in me, salutes the divine PB&J in you.