Friday, January 08, 2010

Creamed Brain



Ever since my best friend Whitney told me about her grandmother's handwritten recipe book from the 1930's,  I cannot get brains off of my mind. Here's an excerpt:

Creamed Brain
1 cup white sauce
1 brain


Would also love to get my hands on the recipe for Jim Crows.


UPDATE from Whit:
"If I remember correctly, the recipe for "Jim Crows" was sent in by a housewife from Minnesota. It was something to the tune of marshmallows dipped in chocolate. Perhaps this was her scathing culinary critique of unjust racial politics?"

4 comments:

  1. I want to see photos of this handwritten cookbook.

    Sounds delish.
    The relic, not the brains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I remember correctly, the recipe for "Jim Crows" was sent in by a housewife from Minnesota. It was something to the tune of marshmallows dipped in chocolate. Perhaps this was her scathing culinary critique of unjust racial politics?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm! How I wish I was in an anatomy library right now. Sooo fascinating.

    ReplyDelete

The divine PB&J in me, salutes the divine PB&J in you.