Wednesday, November 03, 2010

BS


Things I Didn't Know/Never Thought About: Brussels Sprouts Edition
  1. Neanderthals likely didn't like them
  2. Plural on the Brussels part-- I had always said "Brussel sprouts" (It reminds me of how I used to misappropriate the "s" by saying "Look likes" instead of "Looks like"-- Also, what a cruel cruel vegetable for someone with a lisp! "Brutthelthh Thprouthh"...but I digress)
  3. They grow on a motherfucking crazy stalk 
  4. If you coat them in olive oil, freshly grated pepper, and enough salt to preserve a corpse, and forget that they are roasting in the oven, the outside layers taste a lot like potato chips!

13 comments:

  1. Fat and salt make everything better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. balsamic vinegar and a sharp parmesan, after roasting the hell out of them. amanda has some crazy story about turbinado sugar and brussels sprouts, i believe - you'd have to ask her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. agirl, righhhhhhht? oh wait, olive oil is fat?!? damn.

    lauren, yes yes yes--- that sounds so amazing will totally try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found out about #3 at the farmer's market. Crazy, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. They also make for an amazing pizza topping.
    Pizza with buffalo mozarella, pancetta and charred brussels sprouts is pretty much the best thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like em roasted with garlic and pecans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just had brussels sprouts for the first time in my whole life - made just the same way. they were fucking amazing. who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm growing them in my garden right now. I'll bring you a stalk at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They make you fart
    My Auntie Beryl was to be avoided after Christmas dinner, I can tell you that
    xt

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG - That last comment was from me - Tracy
    I mistakenly posted it from the BF account
    Whoopsie
    I don't think he had an Aunt Beryl
    snigger
    xt

    ReplyDelete
  11. i like the "sauteing in a HEALTHY amount of butter" method.

    ReplyDelete

The divine PB&J in me, salutes the divine PB&J in you.