Friday, December 17, 2010

Houston or Bust!



Woke up early this morning. Put hollow points in the .38 snub nose and set out to pick up a hitchhiker and spread some goodwill.

Poor bastard had been standing on the I-10 eastbound on ramp for over a week now. At first, his cardboard sign had "HOUSTON" faintly scrawled in pen. A day or two later, he must have commandeered a marker of some sort, and soon it read "HOUSTON."

Driving by the middle aged man every morning nearly broke my heart. I wondered what was waiting for him 1,175 miles away. But mostly, I felt bad for him, because in reality, his chances of getting picked up were everso slim and the weather turned wetter by the moment.

We had the day off, so we drew up this elaborate plan to pick him up and buy him a bus ticket to Houston. I drove while R sat shotgun with a loaded gun in the glove box. A bit presumptuous, but you never know, right?

Turned out his name is Charlie and was trying to get back home to his grandkids. He told us about how he used to own a trucking company, then foreclosed on his house and ran out of funds. How he was able to get disability from the VA for a while. How he found a spigot and bucket to shower and keep clean. About maybe finding work with a rodeo in TX. How Christmas is about the good lord Jesus.

We got to the Greyhound station and bought him a one way ticket outta town. This is when it gets a million times better. We found out his full name is Charlie Murphy (hello, Dave Chappelle fans?!)! There was a bus that was just about to pull away, and we shook his rough hand, wished him good luck, and sent him on his way.

My Grinch heart grew several sizes bigger today. Relieved that we weren't stabbed nor did we have to shoot anybody, it made me very grateful for all the privileges that I've been afforded in life. I guess it cheapens it that I'm posting about it, but it certainly was a fun and interesting adventure.

20 comments:

  1. In what way it cheapens it, I do not know. I've been highly grinchy of late, and my heart has swelled all full. Charlie and me, we thank you.

    And a day in which you don't have to shoot somebody? A frabjous day indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i absolutely adore you both for this

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU GO GIRL. in the words of ice cube
    "Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
    I got to say it was a good day."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gracie, I am happy to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. merry effing xmas. this is what it should be about. also, you have a gun and hollowpoints??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you.




    But, yeah. YOU OWN A GUN???

    ReplyDelete
  7. k_darling, ESB... yeah duh! it's the wild wild west!

    we've also have a shotgun. and R's step dad has a fucking AK-47. nuts.

    naurnie, so happy to know YOU!

    prac, awesome quote. i love that you have it in your back pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  8. p.s. ESB, I'll leave my guns at home tomorrow. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. amanda, thank you. WRT cheapen, i like to share, document; not looking for accolades. :/

    s, ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, also, don't see how it cheapens anything. It's humbling to know that all you have can be gone in the blink of an eye. And being able to spread some of that goodness? That's not a negative privilege; that's awareness. You're pretty bad ass.

    Add that to how you tote a gun, and that makes it all that much better.

    I'm glad you met Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought you were starting a Hunter S.-style novel but then I realised it was a true story...love you evenmorenow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, i'm so glad you did this. and the beginning of this post reads like a lydia lunch story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this story and you are freaking awesome. now that's the spirit of christmas, loaded gun smart and all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are brave, and thoughtful. I don't think I have the balls to pick up a hitchhiker.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. p.s. Everyone in Arizona owns a gun, it's as natural as breathing. It's kind of scary, lol! My lil' baby is a .22 luger

    ReplyDelete
  17. days after graduating, she's already giving us the business. well done, gracie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. that is awesome! and I'm glad you posted it, share the inspiration. some people do really need something giveable and simple that doesn't mean there next beer. good work Gracie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That. Is. Awesome.

    Full stop.

    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  20. awww, best christmas miracle story of the year...miracle for CM, anyway...

    ReplyDelete

The divine PB&J in me, salutes the divine PB&J in you.