Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Loved Ones


Now-a-day, when I have less-than-nice thoughts about someone, it helps me to think about how that person is someone's mother, or daughter, or father, or husband, or son, or friend. They are beloved to anonymous someones, and thus they become instantly more lovable to me. 

Perhaps, I can overlook their quirks or ignore certain remarks. Maybe I'll be strong enough not to wish someone's loved one harm or to go fuck someone's loved oneself. Because I certainly would be hurt/pissed if someone else was mean to a loved one of mine. 

(I'm getting soft in my old age, eh?)

9 comments:

  1. whoa. this ALMOST sounds like a new year's resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it kind of is...overarching, "be nicer" campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. or, like joe likes to tell me... "everyone's fighting the hard fight, cel". so true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. People here have this horrifying tendency to drive the speed limit or under in the fast lane, and they refuse to get over to let anyone pass. I drive behind them, stuck, fuming, until at last I have an opening. As I whip around them to the right, I turn my head to shoot them my best glare, and then... I see people in there, not these evil self-absorbed humanoids I had dreamt up. Recently, I caught a glimpse of a familiar halo of wispy hair, and I was like, holy shit, that lady is someone's GRANDMA.

    They say my heart grew three sizes that day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i had a DFW-related revelation of a similar sort. have been trying not to think of other people as traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look at it as: we are all assholes in our own way from time to time, who am I to judge. Apologize, forgive, try harder. Lately i've been impressed on a consistent basis with the kindness and generosity of random people, who knew?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @lauren, what does DFW stand for? Don't make me google salmon flavored popcorn again!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. DFW= Dallas Fort Worth? Department of fish and wildlife?

    Getting SOFT? Eek. Quick! Tell me how you feel about stranger's babies! I reeeeeeally don't want to have to push you off a bridge.

    Also, thank you for the congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. david foster wallace, my darling. also dem frooked wultures.

    ReplyDelete

The divine PB&J in me, salutes the divine PB&J in you.