Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Perpetual Culture of Want


Le sigh. I'm tired. 
Tired of being manipulated by the fashion industry.

I'll begin by saying that I'm not immune, just exhausted.
I'm a willing victim most of the time.

...Fall/Winter?!
Come on, assholes, it's not even Spring, nor Summer for that matter.

This whole cycle perpetuates an insatiable culture of coveting things you don't have.
I mean, can't I just be happy in the here and the now?

I don't want to think about what I'm going to be wearing NEXT winter.
It's like we're not allowed to live in the present and just be content.

I know every industry is like this, but it's not so in your face.
I'm unsubscribing from Vogue & fashion blogs for sanity's sake.

Will still do GarfieldNASA posts
Will still keep up with my fashionable buddies

9 comments:

  1. I'm totally jumping on this bandwagon.
    lately it feels so...blah.or maybe I've become
    Blah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is the thing, which I'm sure you're well aware of, but the shows were never meant for the general public to view. It was strictly for either very wealthy customers, mag editors, or retail buyers. Along comes the internet and the mystery that made the fashion industry so alluring has now been done away with and everything is just 100% overexposed. I’m so with you on this. I’m so sick of seeing the same shit over and over to the nth degree. But who knows where it’s all headed. There is an OBVIOUS burn out in the industry just based on how lame most of the A/W 11 collections were, so I’m curious to see where the backlash will lead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PP, I actually didn't know that. Ad nauseam blogger overload. PP is always refreshing, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so i should probs just unfollow @themoment instead of skimming past their tweets? that would be a RELIEF.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ESB, doesn't it feel wonderful?! I went on a fashion blogger purge too.

    S, glad to know I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not every industry is like this...

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh.............taking everything i say literally, now are we???

    ReplyDelete
  8. i agree. i have been contemplating the effects the fashion industry has on me...I don't shop or wear designer...I can't afford it, but I feel that I have become very critical of clothing, people thinking they are trendy, even the latest lines walking down the runway...and really, who am i to judge? Do i know anything about fashion? Not really, save my biased eye and personal art preferences. what's trendy anyway? I can't start wearing things coming up this fall, but the time I do wear them, so will everyone else...and who cares anyway? It's not like Karl will give me a gold star because I've been wearing arm warmers and now their magically "in" thanks to the F/W 11 chanel show. well...how is that for ranting. I guess it's just a love hate relationship.

    ReplyDelete

The divine PB&J in me, salutes the divine PB&J in you.