Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Lubricant

"Your eyes are as dry as the Sahara!" exclaimed the bird-like optometrist (who coincidentally happens to love and own many pet birds).

"Argh, really?" Surprised at my sounding surprised. This I already knew because there's rarely a moment where it doesn't feel like tiny kitten tongues are bathing my eyeballs.

Blink. Blink. Blink.

"Yes, your tear breakup time is three seconds, while it normally should be around ten," Doc advised. "It's unavoidable we're going to have to put you on a daily prescription that will help you produce your own tears."

"Oh, okay. So, ummmm, will it cause all of my mucus membranes to produce more moisture?" as I shifted my eyes down into my lap.

"Uh," Doc following my gaze, "No, it shouldn't..."

"Oh, okay. Is it an oral medication?" I inquired further.

He passed me a sample of prescription eye drops.

Blink. Blink. Blink.

6 comments:

  1. Heeheehee. I usually have to give people medications to dry up secretions. Unfortunately, they act on all secretions.

    I have really dry eyes too. I blame my hours spent looking at a computer screen. The optometrist said it's because I have oily tear ducts and recommended I hold a warm flannel over them to soften the oil. It works but I'm too lazy to do it unless I'm in the shower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your eye looks like a boob.

    ReplyDelete

The divine PB&J in me, salutes the divine PB&J in you.